What is SYA?
SYA – Saskatchewan Youth Apprenticeship – raises awareness of apprenticeship in Saskatchewan schools by helping young people discover what rewards come with being a Youth Apprentice and working in the skilled trades. SYA enhances student career development by exploring the world of opportunities skilled trades offer Saskatchewan youth.
What is Apprenticeship?
Being a Youth Apprentice is a great way to learn job skills while earning money. It combines hands-on learning where experts in a trade (called journeypersons) pass on their knowledge and expertise to employees (called apprentices) right on the job. This practical training is combined with periods of technical training. Learn more about the exciting career opportunities in the skilled trades by watching the video below.
What are the benefits of taking SYA in high school?
Besides getting a head start on career planning and having a record of your achievements, youth who complete all three levels and register as an apprentice in a designated trade within five years receive the following benefits:
- waiver of registration fee (currently $150)*
- no charge for first level of technical training tuition*
- 300 hours of trade time credit**
*The SYA Program may also be available to those who are not high school students. The financial waivers do not apply in those cases.
** For partial completion of SYA, youth only receive 100 hours of trade time credit per SYA level completed.
Are there any scholarships for SYA participants?
SYA Industry Scholarships are awarded to selected, eligible high school graduates throughout the province who have completed the SYA Program and will be pursuing a career in the skilled trades. The scholarships, valued at $1,000 each, will be awarded to graduating students nominated by selected provincial high schools each June. Read more about the SYA Industry Scholarships and how to qualify.
EDUCATORS: (choose option 1 or 2 and review Related SYA Information)
1) Currently Registered SYA schools:
Quick Start Forms:
2) Schools wanting to register in SYA:
Related SYA Information:
- SYA Frequently Asked Questions
- Teacher’s package – Grades 10-12
- School Administrator’s package – Grades 10-12
- Apprenticeship Terminology
- SYA brochure
- SYA poster
- Future Considerations – SYA Industry Scholarship brochure
- Future Considerations – SYA Industry Scholarship poster
- SYA Industry Scholarship – sponsorship brochure/form
STUDENTS AND PARENTS: